Friday, January 21, 2011

English

Read an interview of Fernando Verdasco today.  For those who don't this guy, let me introduce.  He's a prof tennis player from Spain.  This interview was conducted after his third round win over Kei Nishikori, a 21 year old nickname 'Japanese Wonder-kid'. 

As english language is not his mother tongue, just like me, it is interesting to see the press conference with Fernando Verdasco with the press.  See below:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Q. You dominate the game all the time, especially your forehand stroke is so good. How did you look back at that game, that match?

FERNANDO VERDASCO: What I think about the match?

Q. Yes.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
English, somehow, as we all learned in school, is not a very complicated language.  Otherwise I wouldn't write this blog in this language.  However, in a way, the english speaking people make it sound so difficult to understand.  They like to go round the world before get to the point.  Just like the question above.  For the native speaker, of course they will understand it instantly.  But for non-native speaker like me, I think my respond would be similar to Fernando Verdasco.  See the way he made clarification.  He summarised the whole long winded sentence in 6 words only.  It is so simple and straight forward.  English speaking people can be sophisticated, complicated and annoying sometimes.  Hahaha. 
 
This reminds me when I speak to Ang Mo.  Many times I would get confused with what they say.  Normally after a long sentence, I would be, huh?  what are you saying?  or just pretend I understand, in fact I dont give a damn.  Hahaha. 
 
However, practice makes perfect.  This didn't happen to me though when I studied in the UK.  Conclusion is, I don't need to give a damn if I cannot understand them now.  But if I work for them, or I live around them, in order to blend in to the society, I will definitely need to speak like them and think like them, in the name of 'Survival'. 
 
So be sure we know our place in the society.  Be wise ;-)

No comments: