Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Offshore Holiday

December... Many people are already on the year end holiday, vacation or planning for one soon. Year end school holiday and Christmas fall on this month. Generally people would take time off to enjoy the family time and go away to relax to wind down on a hectic year.

As I'm writing this article I'm actually in the middle of the ocean, erm, South China Sea. I'm on Tioman T-9 rig, and it's at EPMI's Guntong D platform for my work. Sometimes sleep at night, work in the day time, sometimes it's the other way round. There is no normal life out here.

However, I'm quite enjoying this job and life. It's exciting and not common. Has anyone not working offshore had the chance to job on the helideck in the middle of ocean before? looking at the sunset / sunrise so near to you? seeing the half moon hanging in the middle of the night in a distance I feel like I could touch it? eat hagen daz ice cream for free? experience the wind speed of up to 70 knots? work in the condition where wind speed is 50 knots? catering crew to take care of your life 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? BBQ during weekend above the sea? realised that some seawater fish actually eat bones? watch dolphines 'dance' around in this wide open sea (not sea park)? Telephone, Astro and internet are available, hard to imagine, right?

Well, of course I wish for a proper holiday for December, but at the moment, rig is experiencing some problem which delays everything right now. Only God knows when we'll resume the work. But at the moment, I'll just relax and chill out here, enjoy the nature, take time to catch up with things in life, catch up with friends online... Hell, this feels like a holiday as well, and it's December... hahaha...

Date: 09 Dec 09
Hotel: Rig Tioman T-9
Room No.: 12
Location: Guntong D (One hour chopper ride from Kerteh Airport)
Holiday period: 16 hours (too short but better than nothing)
Total Expenditure: FOC (:-P)

No comments: