I'm now on a tender rig, T9, which floats on the water with 4 anchors that pull this rig at its location. We stay on the rig but the drilling activities are all happening on the platform. The platform is accessed from the rig by a bridge, which is called the access ramp. There are few other names given to this access ramp, Widow Maker is one of them. There is a ladder that we need to climb from the bow deck to the access ramp, which itself is a hazard to safety.
| Rig, Access Ramp and Platform |
On the day I arrived, a tragic accident happened. There was a big white man, he was going up the ladder but somehow he lost his footstep and grips, he fell flat on his back, knocked his back of his head hard of the floor. Later on I found out that he actually weighs 300 lbs, which is about 140 kg, and he is 63 years old.
He laid on the floor for quite sometimes before he managed to sit up. People rushed to him, the medic went with a big bag with medical gears trying to help. He was bleeding at the back of his head. His hearing was temporarily lost and his was weak. Imagine, 140 kg object fell from 6 feet high, the impact was quite intense. Really felt sorry for him.
From the bow deck to the hospital in the accommodation, stretcher was used and crane was used to lift him up from the bow deck to the hospital in the accommodation. Town was alerted, special chopper was arranged with doctors and specific medical gears to come to the rig immediately. The incident happened at about 10.30am, and he was medivac to Kuala Terengganu at about 2.00pm. It's efficient and effective medivac effort from ExxonMobil.
| Accommodatioin |
The company man later was saying, "guys, if you think it's unsafe, don't do it. It's not worth it". Yup, I totally agree with him. Since safety is prioritised above the rest, we all have the rights to stop to do job if we dont feel safe. It's not worth it. Our love ones are waiting for us back home, we want to go home to them safe and sound, alive and kicking.
At the age of 63 years old, I really hope that I would have the luxury of enjoying my life. And pray hard, I will not weigh as much as 80 kg.
| Me on supply boat Setia Teguh, 14 March 2011 |
No comments:
Post a Comment